PtX Hub in Argentina
Catalysing long-term defossilisation pathways through Power-to-X in Argentina
Synthetic fuels and chemicals based on renewable energy offer a promising opportunity for Argentina to accelerate its economic development. With its favourable conditions for renewable energy generation, the country can build sustainable Power-to-X markets, reduce import dependency, and create socio-economic benefits through innovative technology.
Why Argentina? Argentina is the second-largest country in South America, and natural resources are widely available. Northern Argentina boasts high solar radiation, while Patagonia offers above global average wind quality. As a country with relevant industry, Argentina’s labour force is skilled and its research and academia well-developed. In terms of hydrogen production: there is a pre-existing domestic hydrogen market utilised by the steel industry and refineries for the production of ammonia and methanol; and infrastructure-wise, ports are already operating alongside an extensive gas pipeline network that stretches over 16,000 km.
Last but not least, Argentina’s political decision-makers are deeply interested in advancing their hydrogen economy to reach their climate goals. Argentina is committed to international agreements to stop climate change and recognises hydrogen as a key element for economic development. The country has national policies in place to increase its renewable energy capacities and is currently working on a baseline to develop a National Hydrogen Strategy and inaugurating an Inter-ministerial Hydrogen Roundtable.
In Argentina, the PtX Hub works on
1. Supporting local institutions in the field of Power-to-X to promote the development of a hydrogen and Power-to-X market
- Strengthening capacities in Power-to-X and green hydrogen
2. Modelling allocation scenarios for Power-to-X products
- Analysing various future scenarios for the allocation of Power-to-X products, e.g., hydrogen as a base product for chemical processes and steel production for export
- Developing recommendations on how to integrate the results into sectoral strategies
3. Supporting the Argentinean Government with technical studies and recommendations regarding the regulatory framework or the development of a hydrogen strategy
- Analysing e.g. socio-economic effects of a transition towards hydrogen
- Analysing local infrastructure to produce hydrogen and Power-to-X
4. Promoting cross-sectoral and regional dialogues
- Connecting relevant actors from the academic, economic, and civil society sectors
- Integrating knowledge and exchanging experience through the regional platform H2lac
If you are interested in finding out more about the PtX Hub’s work in Argentina, contact Stephan Remler.