PtX Hub in Jordan
Abundant renewable energy sources and ambitious goals in Jordan for PtX
The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan is one of the leading countries in the Middle East and North Africa region in renewable energy expansion and clean energy growth. In mid-2022, renewables generated approximately 29 % of the electricity supply. High solar and wind potential position Jordan as an attractive country for producing PtX. Closely located to ports and Europe, Jordan is well placed to become a PtX producer and exporter.
In 2020, the Jordanian Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources (MEMR) released the 2020-2030 Energy Strategy. Goals include the diversification of energy resources, expansion of renewable energy capacities, increasing investments, and strengthening international relations and collaborations. By the end of 2030, the country envisages to have 48.5 % of the country’s electricity generation come from local energy sources.
The Jordanian Energy Ministry is currently working on a strategy to set technical and legal standards to produce green hydrogen from solar and wind. Producing green hydrogen could decrease the country’s dependency on the import of fossil fuels and increase the expansion of locally sourced renewable energy. Jordan currently imports around 91 % fossil fuels for its energy supply.
Green hydrogen and PtX are poised to play a key role towards climate neutrality by enabling the defossilisation of sectors that cannot directly electrify. In Jordan, potential applications include crude oil refining, fertiliser production, gas-fired thermal power plants, urban buses and heavy-duty trucks and port logistics.
However, there are challenges to be overcome. Most prominently, the lacking regulatory framework as well as water scarcity are in the spotlight to be solved before the take up of PtX production in Jordan.
The PtX Hub’s work in Jordan at a glance
1. Capacity and knowledge building for decision makers in politics, research, and academia
- Conducting the Renewable PtX.Training with political decision makers in Jordan (First Training in March 2023)
- Organising a study trip for Jordan’s decision makers to industrial and research PtX facilities
2. Building partnerships with universities, academies, and training centers
- Assisting in developing a PtX programme and course for students in partnership with a Jordanian university
- Supporting in developing a PtX programme and course for engineers and technicians of the public and private sectors of Jordan in partnership with a Jordanian technical university
- Conducting a “Train-the-trainer” programme for academic staff and professors of the partner universities
3. Organising a workshop on “Certifying Greenhouse Gas Accounting and Sustainability Criteria for Hydrogen and PtX Products – A Jordanian-German Dialogue”
4. Providing technical, regulatory, and sustainability support to Jordanian public officials